Lonely men are being given the chance to boost their Facebook relationship status – by dating a virtual girlfriend.
Cloud Girlfriend promises users the ability to create their ‘perfect girlfriend’, who will post messages on their wall, giving the impression that they are in a long distance relationship.
Billing itself as ‘The Social Network Girlfriend’, the site is yet to go live, but users are invited to register their interest online now, where they can input their email address on a form.
The site describes four steps to creating a virtual partner, with users asked to ‘define their perfect girlfriend’ before the site’s owners ‘bring her into existence’.
It then promises the budding online Romeos they will be able to ‘connect and interact’ with their new girlfriend ‘publicly on your favourite social network’, prompting speculation that the virtual girlfriend may not be limited to Facebook.
Co-founder David Fuhriman claimed that Cloud Girlfriend will help users to bag themselves a real girlfriend.
He explained to website Business Insider that women who see posts from a virtual girlfriend will think ‘someone else thinks highly enough of this person to date him, so maybe I should too’.
Some have voiced concerns that Cloud Girlfriend contravenes Facebook’s terms and conditions, and that it will be quickly shut down by site bosses after it goes live.
The site’s terms currently state that users must ‘not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than themselves without permission.’
Writing on MIT Technology Review, tech pundit Christopher Mims said: ‘Some start-ups don’t make it past the phase where they build a mailing list of users for their service, and if Cloud Girlfriend isn’t one of them, I will gladly eat my hat.’
But this has apparently not deterred legions of lonely male web users registering their interest with the service, as a banner on the site advises users to register early due to ‘high demand’.
In December 2009, one user even ‘married’ a character from the game, tying the knot at a ceremony attended by 40 people.
- Fake Facebook Girlfriends From “Cloud Girlfriend” Will Be Run By Real People (businessinsider.com)
- Cloud Girlfriend: Start-Up Offers Fake Relationships for Facebookers (abcnews.go.com)
- Cloud Girlfriend Promises To Give You A Pretend Facebook Girlfriend (presurfer.blogspot.com)
- Living A Lie Via Facebook (dotcom2740.wordpress.com)
- Company to Supply Virtual Girlfriends on Facebook (neatorama.com)
- You’re Super Lame…Everyone Knows and They’re Here to Help (blockthat.wordpress.com)
- “Cloud Girlfriend” Provides Users With Fake Facebook Mate (escapistmagazine.com)
- Fake Girlfriends for Facebook (foxnews.com)
- Really Can’t Get a Date? New Company Offers Virtual Girlfriends (newsfeed.time.com)
- Coming Soon! Get a Hot (Um, Imaginary) Girlfriend on Facebook (businessinsider.com)